Decorating sugar cookies for Christmas has always been a tradition for me but I decided to change it up this year!
Instead of decorating with different colors of royal icing I crushed up some jolly ranchers & used them to fill in these cookies! When they’re done baking you get a beautiful “stained glass” effect in these cookies!
Stained-Glass Sugar Cookies
Recipe from Martha Stewart
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for rolling
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Very finely crushed hard candy, such as Jolly Rancher, in various colors (1 cup total)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy, 3 minutes.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla and beat to combine.
- With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture and beat to combine.
- Form dough into 2 disks, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Working with 1 disk at a time, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut out shapes and place on a foil covered baking sheet
- Bake until cookies are pale but set, 6 to 8 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through.
- Remove sheets from oven; fill cutouts with crushed candy.
- Bake until cookies begin to brown at edges and candy is melted, 3to 4 minutes.
- Let cool completely on sheets.