To me mint & chocolate remind me of Christmas, that coolness of the mint and sweetness of the chocolate are SOOO good!
One of my favorite chocolate mint cookies are the Andes Crème De Methe Cookies (you can find the recipe for them on the back of the package of Andes Mint Bits) but when I came across this recipe for Chocolate Mint Thumbprint cookies I knew I was going to have to try these!
These have a yummy mint shortbread cookie with a DELICIOUS dark chocolate ganache filling and topped with part of an Andes Mint make these a fun treat to have at any occasion this Christmas season!
Recipe from Betty Crocker
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
2 egg yolks
16 drops green food color
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
3 tablespoons whipping cream
3 tablespoons butter
18 thin rectangular crème de menthe chocolate candies, unwrapped, cut in half diagonally
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with cooking parchment paper.
- In large bowl, beat 1 cup butter and the powdered sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in peppermint extract, egg yolks and food color until blended. On low speed, beat in flour, baking powder and salt.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Using end of handle of wooden spoon or your finger, press a deep well into center of each cookie.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set. Reshape wells with end of handle of wooden spoon. Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.
- In medium microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, cream and 3 tablespoons butter on High 1 minute, stirring frequently, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Fill each well with about 1 teaspoon chocolate mixture; garnish with candy piece. Let stand about 1 hour until chocolate is set